North Dakota Housing Assistance
North Dakota Housing Vouchers * Public Housing * Homeless * Making Home Affordable
North Dakota Public Housing
Subsidized and Low-Rent Apartments in North Dakota State
Public Housing provides safe, decent and affordable rental housing to eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides federal grants to local Public Housing Agencies (PHA) that manage the public housing developments for low-income residents at rents they can afford.
In general, housing developments owned, managed and maintained by the local PHAs are referred to as Conventional Housing, or Low Rent Public Housing and units are offered to eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities at rental rates established by the PHA authorities within the HUD income limits and guidelines.
In North Dakota State, there are about 1,500 public housing units where the local Housing Authorities serve as the landlord and rent these units to eligible tenants.
In general, to qualify for Public Housing, applicants or participants must earn no more than 80% of area median income (AMI).
Public Housing benefits are not portable like the Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers or HOME Tenant-Based Rental Assistance. The Housing Assistance is attached to the Public Housing unit that is being rented to eligible participants.
Inquire about the current availability of subsidized and low-rent apartments at your local North Dakota Housing Authorities.
Search for affordable subsidized apartments in North Dakota using the HUD database.
Housing Counseling Services in North Dakota
Contact one of the HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies in North Dakota State for the following education workshops or counseling services
- Mortgage Delinquency and Default Resolution Counseling
- Fair Housing Pre-Purchase Education Workshops
- Financial Management/Budget Counseling
- Financial, Budgeting and Credit Repair Workshops
- Home Improvement and Rehabilitation Counseling
- Non-Delinquency Post Purchase Workshops
- Pre-purchase Counseling
- Pre-purchase Homebuyer Education Workshops
- Predatory Lending Education Workshops
- Rental Housing Counseling
- Rental Housing Workshops
- Resolving/Preventing Mortgage Delinquency Workshops
- Services for Homeless Counseling
- Home Improvement and Rehabilitation Counseling
North Dakota Homeless Service Organizations
North Dakota administers different programs that provide federal grants to North Dakota regional homeless service organizations. Federal grants and state funding are used to coordinate local resources and provide assistance to homeless North Dakota individuals and families.
Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) Program is funded by federal government grants and is designed to help people in a housing crisis and facing homelessness, or already homeless. Services under this program are delivered by the local governments and nonprofit service agencies across North Dakota.
There are other programs that address homelessness in the State of North Dakota.
If you are homeless in North Dakota and need help – call the listed homeless service organization in your area.
North Dakota Homeowners Assistance and Housing Programs
North Dakota – Making Home Affordable options
Making Home Affordable is a federal program designed to cover different homeowners’ hardships and financial situations. Under the program, there are various options that can help North Dakota homeowners in hardship stay in their homes. Depending on the situation North Dakota homeowners in hardship can apply to lower their monthly payments, lower the interest rate on their home loan or even get principal reduction in some cases.
There are foreclosure alternatives and temporarily help for unemployed homeowners as well.
Here are some of the most used options under the Making Home Affordable Program:
- Lower your monthly mortgage payments with the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP)
- Lower your interest rate with Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP)
- Check eligibility for principal reduction with Principal Reduction Alternative SM (PRA)
- Get help if currently unemployed with Home Affordable Unemployment Program (UP)
- Reduce your 2nd mortgage monthly payments with Second Lien Modification Program (2MP)
- Explore your foreclosure alternatives with the Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program (HAFA)
- FHA Home Affordable Modification Program (FHA-HAMP)
HUD (US Department of Housing and Urban Development) approved housing counselor can be reached at 888-995-4673 (Hearing impaired: 877-304-9709 TTY) to help you understand your options, prepare your application, and work with your mortgage company.
North Dakota Low-Rent Apartments
Find more and search for North Dakota subsidized and low-rent apartments here.