Assistance Programs, Local Agencies and Charities

Food  Housing  Cash Assistance  Bills  Health  Education  Employment



  • Oklahoma Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)  – Monthly food stamp benefits to help low-income people and families buy the food they need for good health, Call: 866-411-1877
  • Oklahoma Aid to the Aged, Blind, or Disabled (AABD) Program Helps eligible persons who are aged, blind, or disabled and whose monthly income is very low, Call: 405-521-3646
  • Oklahoma Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)  – Provides cash assistance as a temporary support in meeting basic needs, training leading to employment, employment services and childcare assistance for qualified Oklahoma families with childrenCall: 866-411-1877
  • Oklahoma Telephone Assistance Program (Lifeline) – Offers discounts on basic monthly service for qualified telephone customers, Call: 800-522-8154
  • Oklahoma State Telephone Assistance Program (Link-Up) – Provides discounts on installation charges for telephone service to eligible low-income Oklahoma program participants, Call: 800-522-8154
  • Oklahoma Enhanced Lifeline Services  – Offers discounts on basic monthly service for qualified telephone customers living on current or former tribal land, Call:800-522-8154
  • Oklahoma SoonerCare (Medicaid)  – A health insurance program that provides health care to eligible children under the age of 19, adults with children under the age of 18, pregnant women and people who are older than 65 or have blindness or another disability, Call: 800-987-7767
  • Oklahoma Medicaid Presumptive Eligibility (MPE) Program  – Offers immediate, temporary coverage for Oklahoma individuals and families who are likely to be eligible in Medicaid, Call: 800-987-7767
  • Oklahoma SoonerCare Supplemental Program  – Designed to pay for Medicare cost sharing requirements of eligible Oklahoma residents who have low income and limited resources, Call: 800-987-7767
  • Oklahoma Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)  – Healthy foods, breastfeeding support, nutrition education, health care referrals, Call: 888-655-2942
  • Oklahoma National School Lunch Program (NSLP)  Provides low-cost or free lunches to school children, Call:  405-521-3301
  • Oklahoma Special Milk Program  – Offers milk to children in schools, childcare institutions, and eligible camps, Call: 405-521-3301
  • Oklahoma School Breakfast Program (SBP)  Provides low-cost or free meals to school children, Call:  405-521-3301
  • Oklahoma Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)  – Provides free meals and snacks to help low-income children in the summer months, Call: 405-521-3301
  • Oklahoma Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)  Provides healthy meals and snacks to children and adults receiving day care, Call: 405-521-3301
  • Oklahoma Head Start  – Comprehensive child development programs serving low-income children and their familiesCall: 405-949-1495
  • Oklahoma Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Designed to help eligible Oklahoma low income households pay for winter heating, energy crisis, and summer cooling energy service, Call: 866-411-1877
  • Oklahoma Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) – Assists households reduce energy bills by improving energy efficiency of their homes, Call: 405-815-5374
  • Oklahoma Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)  – Designed to aid individuals known to be at risk of malnutrition due to low income and poor health conditions, Call: 800-848-4019
  • Oklahoma Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP)  – Provides low-income seniors with special EBT cards to buy fresh, nutritious fruits, vegetables, and herbs from authorized farmers’ markets, Call: 405-522-3121
  • Oklahoma Housing Choice Voucher Program  – Helps eligible low-income households lease privately owned rental units from participating landlords, Call: Local PHA
  • Oklahoma Public Housing  – Provides safe, decent, and affordable rental units for eligible low-income residents., Call: Local PHA

Homeowners Assistance and Housing Programs

Oklahoma – Making Home Affordable options

Making Home Affordable is a federal program designed to cover different homeowners’ hardships and financial situations. Under the program there are various options that can help Oklahoma homeowners in hardship stay in their homes. Depending on the situation Oklahoma homeowners in hardship can apply to lower their monthly payments, lower the interest rate on their home loan or even get principal reduction in some cases.

There are foreclosure alternatives and temporarily help for unemployed homeowners as well.

Here are some of the most used options under Making Home Affordable Program:

HUD (US Department of Housing and Urban Development) approved housing counselor can be reached at: 888-995-4673  (Hearing impaired: 877-304-9709 TTY) to help you understand your options, prepare your application, and work with your mortgage company.


Food Assistance Programs, Services, and Organizations in Oklahoma


Oklahoma Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or the Food Stamps Program as it is known by the public, is a federal program that provides grants to the States for purpose of reducing the hunger and malnutrition in all eligible households across the nation. SNAP helps provide healthy food to qualifying low-income families with children, elderly or disabled in each State of the USA, including Oklahoma. Learn more about SNAP.

It is important to know that the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is a federal entitlement program funded by U.S. Government grants. Any U.S. Citizen, even some legal alien residents, will get free food assistance as long as they meet the SNAP eligibility guidelines. In other words, there is enough Supplemental Nutrition Assistance for every American that qualifies.

In Oklahoma, the SNAP is known as Oklahoma Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamp Program) and is administered by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS). The Federal Government pays 100% of Oklahoma Food Stamp Benefits with federal grants appropriated for SNAP. The SNAP federal grants also pay a share of the Oklahoma SNAP administrative cost.

According to the Oklahoma Department of Children and Family Services, “The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) serves as the first line of defense against hunger.”


Who is Eligible for SNAP (Food Stamps) in Oklahoma?

The eligibility rules and benefit amounts in Oklahoma, like in other States, are based on limited income, limited liquid resources, household size, and other requirements, some of them specific to each State. Most eligibility rules are determined by regulations issued by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food and Nutrition Service.

The federal law allows States some flexibility when implementing SNAP on a State level. State agencies can adapt some of the food assistance program rules in order to meet the needs of eligible, low‐income local population.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is designed for individuals and families with limited income resources, who compose a household, and purchase and prepare their meals together for home consumption.

For the purpose of the SNAP, certain people must be included in one household account even if they purchase and prepare meals separately. Husbands and wives of any household member, their children under age 22 when living together, plus children younger than 18 who are dependents of an adult household member are all considered as a part of one household formation.

In Oklahoma anyone with limited income and resources may apply for food stamps but, in general, to qualify for Oklahoma SNAP (Food Stamp) Benefits you must meet the following basic eligibility requirements:

  • Oklahoma Resident – must be a U.S. Citizen or a legal resident with SNAP eligible non-citizen status;
  • Work Requirement – unless exempted, each able-bodied household member who is 16 to 60 year old must be registered to work, and accept a suitable employment offer;
  • Resource Limit – no limit on categorically eligible, otherwise, applying for SNAP benefits households, as per federal guidelines, must have countable household assets limited to $2,250 or less ($3,250 or less for households containing a member who is disabled or 60 years of age or older)
  • Income Limits –  Income limits eligibility depends on the household size and composition. Households with no elderly or disabled individuals must meet both gross and net income limits. Households with elderly or disabled individuals must meet only the net income limits. Gross income includes wages, salaries, commissions, dividends, child support, self-employment income, unemployment compensation, social security benefits and others.

See the table for Maximum Monthly Income allowable for SNAP benefits eligibility in State of Oklahoma as per household size:

Oct. 1, 2015 through Sept. 30, 2016 USDA FNS SNAP Max Income
Household SizeGross Monthly Income Limits
(130% of poverty)
Net Monthly Income Limits
(100% of poverty)
Each additional member+$451+$347

Source: USDA, SNAP Income Eligibility Standards

Most Oklahoma residents may be automatically or so called categorically eligible for SNAP benefits if they already participate in other means tested assistance programs. Getting any benefits funded by federal grants from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance, or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), for example, can make the applicant for SNAP benefits categorically eligible, thus bypassing the standard income eligibility and asset eligibility rules. Please, contact your local OKDHS for more details on SNAP categorical eligibility.


Quick Eligibility Check

Use this Pre-Screening Tool to find out if you may be eligible to get Oklahoma SNAP benefits (Food Stamps).

The screening allows interested in getting Oklahoma food stamps to provide some basic information and find out if they are potentially eligible for benefits.

If you use this Pre-Screening Tool you will be notified immediately on the screen if you qualify after completing the questionnaire. This is a pre-screening information, and you still have to make an application at your local Oklahoma DHS office.

Even if you are unsure whether you would qualify you still may be eligible for SNAP Benefits and you should still apply.

The Department of Human Services is the agency in Oklahoma that can make final determination regarding your SNAP application in this State and grant you benefits.


What are Maximum Oklahoma SNAP (Food Stamps) Benefits?

If approved, the Oklahoma SNAP benefit amounts depend on the household size and the amount of the their net income. USDA has maximum SNAP benefit limits per month per household size. Check below what are the maximum food stamp monetary amounts a household can get. The dollar amounts of the food stamp benefits are called allotments.

Oct. 1, 2015 - Sept. 30, 2016 USDA Max SNAP Allotments
Household SizeMaximum Food Assistance Monthly Allotment
Each additional member$146

Source: USDA, SNAP Maximum Allotments


How to Apply for SNAP Benefits (Food Stamps) in Oklahoma?

To apply for SNAP benefits in Oklahoma download and print the Request for Benefits application form offered by the OKDHS.

The same application form can be used to apply for Child Care Subsidy, Health Care Coverage – SoonerCare (Medicaid), and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program which offers cash benefits to qualifying families.

More than one assistance program in an application is common practice by a lot of the States, since most of the people in need of food stamps are likely to be in need of cash and other assistance and services.

Applicants for SNAP in State of Oklahoma have the right to file an application in person, through an authorized representative, by fax, by mail, or online. The SNAP application may be submitted to any Oklahoma local County Human Services Center.

If you are to file a paper application for Request for Benefits – just fill out all required information on the application and mail or turn it in any local County Human Services Center.

If you do not have all the information that is needed to complete the SNAP application, provide as much as you can – but you must include your name, address, social security number, and your signature for the OKDHS office to accept it. All required information and its verification can be provided later at the interview or upon request.

If you are eligible, your SNAP Benefits will start from the date the DHS receives your application. However, if you provide more information, it will help DHS determine your eligibility more quickly.

The application process includes an SNAP eligibility interview and information verification. After you have submitted your application, the OKDHS office will contact you to set up an interview and verify the information on your application. If you are elderly, disabled individual, or unable to go to the office due to a hardship, call the OKDHS to request your SNAP eligibility interview conducted over the phone.

At the interview, you will meet with a DHS worker who will go over the information on your application and verify the required supporting documentation and proofs. You will also receive information from the worker or other staff about job requirements/opportunities and your responsibilities.

Within 30 days of the interview, if eligible, you will receive a notice stating how much food assistance benefit and for how long your household is eligible for before a review of the case is due, along with reporting requirements.

The SNAP benefit amount depends on the household size and its net income – that is all countable income minus all allowable deductions.

If Oklahoma DHS finds you eligible for SNAP benefits, you will be entitled to receive food stamps from the date your signed application was received.

Oklahoma SNAP applicants also have the option to apply for SNAP benefits online using OKDHS Live! – the Oklahoma State Online Application System that enables users to apply for Food Benefits, SoonerCare (Medicaid), Child Care, and other State programs and services.


Oklahoma SNAP Benefits Approval, Rules, Proofs Required

The OKDHS has to verify provided information and interview you before determining if the household is eligible for SNAP Benefits.

Here is a list of what the OKDHS requires you to bring to the interview:

  • Proof of identity, such as driver license or school identification;
  • Social Security number or card for everyone who wants benefits;
  • Proof of citizenship for everyone who wants benefits;
  • Proof of legal status for anyone who is not a U.S. citizen and wants benefits;
  • Proof of income for everyone living with you, such as pay stubs or award letters;
  • Proof of all resources, such as bank accounts, car titles, or land; and
  • Proof of your need for child care, such as your work or school schedule, and the name of the place you want to use to care for your child.

Additional information and proof may be required depending upon your situation. In case you are not able to provide all the information during the SNAP application interview, you will be given time to provide the required proof.

Applicants for SNAP benefits in Oklahoma should get a response within 30 days from the date they submitted their application to the OKDHS office. When start getting food stamps benefits, households must report any changes of their situation in a set period of time in order to assure their participation in the Oklahoma Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

Under the simplified reporting option, households are required to report changes in income between certification and scheduled reporting periods when total countable income rises above 130% of the poverty level or when work hours change for able‐bodied adults without dependents.

SNAP regulations require all non‐exempt household members to comply with work requirements. Work requirements include registering for work, not voluntarily quitting a job, and accepting a suitable employment offer. As per federal SNAP guidelines, individuals who fail to comply with SNAP work requirements without good cause are ineligible for program benefits and disqualified from SNAP for certain periods of time, depending on how many prior instances of non‐compliance there have been.

The law limits the SNAP benefits to 3 months in a 3-year period for all able-bodied adults between the ages of 18-49 without dependents, who are not working or participating in a work program for at least 20 hours each week.

As part of the SNAP federal grant assistance requirements, each State has to offer employment and training (E&T) program to its SNAP benefits recipients. Participants in such programs, where available, can get adult education, vocational training, job skills training for specific jobs, and work experience via short-term unpaid work assignments.

The main goal of the work requirement is to help the food stamp recipients get jobs, reduce or eliminate their dependency on the government benefits.

In Oklahoma the OKDHS is responsible for assisting and directing persons in E&T activities which enable them to achieve or maintain economic self support. Registration for E&T, employment related evaluations and assessment, employability planning, counseling, job developing, and job placement are areas where Oklahoma SNAP beneficiaries can get help.


Approved! When and How Do I Get the SNAP Benefits?

Oklahoma SNAP provides the benefits via the Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) system. The monetary benefits of the Oklahoma SNAP benefits are transferred to the accounts of qualified beneficiaries and are accessible through an Oklahoma EBT Card – The Access Card, which is issued to anyone approved for SNAP benefits.  The Oklahoma SNAP Benefits are deposited into the recipients accounts each month following the Benefit Issuance Schedule.

Benefits are made available from the 1st to the 10th of every month, based on the last digit of the client’s SNAP case number:
Case numbers ending in: 0 -3 = benefits available on the 1st of the month
Case numbers ending in: 4 -6 = benefits available on the 5th of the month
Case numbers ending in: 7 -9 = benefits available on the 10th of the month

If you have any question regarding your EBT Account or EBT Card call Oklahoma EBT Customer Service: 1-888-328-6551


How and Where to Use the SNAP Benefits?

When approved, Oklahoma SNAP beneficiaries will get Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards – The Access Card. The monetary benefits of the Oklahoma SNAP are transferred into the accounts of qualified beneficiaries and are accessible through Oklahoma EBT Cards. Households and individuals can use their EBT cards and spend the benefits like cash at any Oklahoma grocery stores and farmers’ markets that are authorized by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to accept SNAP (food stamp) benefits.

Check this list of Oklahoma SNAP participating stores that are authorized to take EBT cards for purchasing of SNAP eligible food items. Eligible food items are any food to be eaten at home by people, including baby food, non-alcoholic beverages, and seasonings. Seeds and plants to grow food for your own family’s consumption are also allowed to be purchased with food stamp benefits. You cannot buy non-grocery items with food stamp benefits, such as cleaning products, pet food, paper products, alcohol, or tobacco.


I Need Food Assistance Now. It is an Emergency!

Some households may get Expedited Services – that is getting Food Stamp Benefits within 7 calendar days if your household has less than $150 in monthly gross income and liquid resources (cash, checking or savings accounts) of $100 or less; or your rent/mortgage and utilities are more than your household’s combined monthly income and liquid resources; or a member of your household is a migrant or seasonal farm worker. In order to get expedite assistance, if you qualify for it, provide all required information and proof as soon as possible. Call 1-866-411-1877 for more information on Oklahoma Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.