CalFresh Food Assistance Approval
Food Stamps * Food Banks * Food Pantries * Soup Kitchens * WIC
School Meals * Special Milk * Summer Food * Senior Nutrition
CalFresh Food Assistance Approval, Rules, Proofs Required
If you submitted an application for CalFresh food assistance approval to get CalFresh Benefits and already have scheduled an interview, you must bring application supporting documents and proofs.
California Department of Social Services (CDSS) lists examples of information and proofs you may be asked to provide at the CalFresh food assistance approval interview:
- Identification (Driver’s License, State ID card, passport);
- Where you live (a rental agreement, the current bill with your address listed);
- Social Security Numbers (see note below about certain non-citizens);
- Money in the bank for all the people in your household (recent bank statements);
- Earned income of everyone in your household for the past 30 days (recent pay stubs, a work statement from an employer). NOTE: If self-employed, income and expense or tax records;
- Unearned income (Unemployment benefits, SSI, Social Security, Veteran’s benefits, child support, worker’s compensation, school grants or loans, rental income, etc.);
- Housing costs (rent receipts, mortgage bills, property tax bill, insurance documents);
- Phone and utility costs;
- Medical expenses for anyone in your household who is elderly (60 and older) or disabled;
- Child and adult care costs due to someone working, looking for work, attending training or school, or participating in a required work activity;
- Child support paid by a person in your household;
- Proof of lawful immigration status ONLY for non-citizens applying for benefits (an Alien Registration Card, visa) NOTE: Certain non-citizens applying for immigration status based on domestic violence, criminal prosecution or trafficking may not need his proof. They also may not need a Social Security Number
In California, if you get CalFresh Benefits, you may need to take part in certain employment and training activities such as searching for work, performing community service, or going to school or training. Your County Welfare Department should tell you what if any, employment programs and training activities are available and if you need to participate in any of these activities or if you are excused.
The SNAP federal rules also state that all able-bodied adults who are food stamp beneficiaries between 18 and 59 of age and who are not disabled and who do not have any dependent children can get benefits funded by federal grants only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in any employment or training program other than job search. This work rule is currently waived in all California counties until FY 2016. Check with your local County Welfare Department – it should have the most current guidelines regarding working requirements rules.
CalFresh food assistance approval takes time and the applicants waiting for CalFresh Benefits approval in California should get a response within 30 days from the date they submitted their application to the local County Welfare Department. Households cannot receive food stamps assistance from more than one California county in a month. Households getting food stamps benefits must report any changes in their household situation in a period of time determined by the local office in order to assure their participation in the CalFresh food assistance program.
Approved! When and How Do I Get the CalFresh Benefits?
Approved for CalFresh Benefits get Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards enabling them to use the food assistance benefits at any grocery store and farmers’ markets in California that are authorized by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The EBT cards in California are officially known as Golden State Advantage cards. The CalFresh benefits are deposited into an EBT account of the beneficiary each month following the Benefit Issuance Schedule.
Benefits are made available over the first 10 days of every month, based on the last digit of the client’s case number. If the:
Case # ends in: 1 = benefits available on the 1st of the month
Case # ends in: 2 = benefits available on the 2nd of the month
Case # ends in: 3 = benefits available on the 3rd of the month
Case # ends in: 4 = benefits available on the 4th of the month
Case # ends in: 5 = benefits available on the 5th of the month
Case # ends in: 6 = benefits available on the 6th of the month
Case # ends in: 7 = benefits available on the 7th of the month
Case # ends in: 8 = benefits available on the 8th of the month
Case # ends in: 9 = benefits available on the 9th of the month
Case # ends in: 0 = benefits available on the 10th of the month
If you have any question regarding your EBT Account or Golden State Advantage Card call California EBT Customer Service: 1-877-328-9677
Approx. of the total California population received Food Stamp Benefits in 2018
Recipients in June, 2018 of Food Stamps (SNAP) Benefits in California
Recipients in June, 2017 of Food Stamp (SNAP) Benefits in California
California Food Assistance Benefits
Find more on what kind of food you can buy using your California Food Assistance benefits…
Food Assistance Program | Eligibility | Apply | Approval | Benefits